Aldin Ayo, Converge focused on preps with or without Maverick Ahanmisi – rezal404
MANILA, Philippines—Maverick Ahanmisi’s future with Converge may be unclear at the moment but coach Aldin Ayo is prepared for whatever happens next between the two parties.
Recently, reports of Ahanmisi leaving Converge broke with the claim that he wanted more out of what the FiberXers were offering him.
Whether that was true or not was unconfirmed by Ayo but he stated that they are ready to face next season, with or without Ahanmisi.
“We don’t have any updates. The coaching staff now, we’re not minding or thinking about what’s going on at the top (management). We’re just focusing on our preparation as a team,” Ayo said in Filipino after their 99-95 loss to Magnolia in the PBA On Tour at Pasig on Wednesday.
Ayo has been hands off on the contract negotiations with Ahanmisi, saying he’s leaving it up to management.
Ahanmisi, a 2015 first rounder, inked a one-year contract with the FiberXers last year in June, which will expire in a few weeks.
Once his contract is up, Ahanmisi will turn into an unrestricted free agent, giving him the choice to weigh his options before next season.
While that may be the worst-case scenario for Converge, Ayo remained steadfast in the idea that the team will play with “what they have.”
“As I’ve said before, we’re just going to make the most of what we have,” said Ayo. “Whoever’s there, we’ll be using.”
Ahanmisi had the best scoring stint of his PBA career in the recently concluded Governors’ Cup where he posted norms of 19.9 points to go along with 6.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896-6000.