T20 World Cup: Australia’s Josh Hazlewood says knocking England out is in their best interest | Cricket News

Australia’s Josh Hazlewood says to knock England out of the T20 World Cup would be “in our best interests as well as probably everyone else” after thrashing Namibia.

Australia chased down Namibia’s first-innings total in just five overs and four balls to stay unbeaten in the T20 World Cup on Tuesday.

Adam Zampa took 4-12 from four overs as they stormed into the Super 8s with one Group B match to spare.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Australia thrashed Namibia to progress to the Super 8s at the ICC T20 World Cup

Australia’s final Group B match against Scotland in St Lucia on Saturday could now decide England’s fate, with skipper Jos Buttler knowing they must beat Oman and Namibia in their remaining group matches.

Hazlewood, who claimed two for 18 as Namibia were dismissed for 72, told a press conference: “In this tournament, you potentially come up against England at some stage again and they’re probably one of the top few teams on their day.

“We’ve had some real struggles against them in T20 cricket, so if we can get them out of the tournament, that’s in our best interest as well as probably everyone else’s I think.

“It will be interesting to see, never really been in this position before as a team I don’t think.

“Whether we have discussions or not, or we just try and play again the way we played tonight, that will be up to people, not me.”

Nasser Hussain and Michael Atherton discuss what England’s T20 World Cup hopes now look like following their defeat to Australia

Pressed on what helping knock out England may look like, Aussie seam bowler Hazlewood admitted: “Not too sure really.

“Whether you get close and just knock it around, drag it out.

“There are a few options there, but to take confidence from winning and winning well, I think that’s almost more important than potentially trying to knock someone else out.

“They (England) have still got a lot to do on their behalf as well. So, I think it will become clearer the closer we get to that sort of stuff.”

Group B standings

Australia, England, Scotland Cricket T20 World Cup
Image:
England must beat Oman and Namibia and hope Australia can do them a favour and knock Scotland out of the T20 World Cup

What are the permutations?

Defending champions England are sweating on a place in the next phase of the tournament after a washout against Scotland was followed by a 36-run defeat to their Ashes rivals.

Scotland have beaten both Oman and Namibia, meaning they have five points already – the maximum amount that England can now finish the group stage with.

Highlights from Barbados where Scotland’s George Munsey and Michael Jones impressed against England before their clash was washed out

If England defeat Oman on Thursday at 8pm, and Namibia on Saturday at 6pm, both live on Sky Sports, all eyes will be on the fixture between Scotland and Australia from 1am, also live on Sky Sports.

In that scenario, Scotland avoiding defeat against Australia would see them advance while sending England home. However, if Australia win, then second place in the group would be decided by net run-rate.

Highlights of Oman against Scotland from the T20 World Cup

Ad content | Stream Sky Sports on NOW

Stream Sky Sports live with no contract on a Month or Day membership on NOW. Instant access to live action from the Premier League and EFL, plus darts, cricket, F1, tennis, golf and so much more.